matt came up from florida to visit me!! he got in late friday night and we took a spin around our little apartment before heading out shortly after the tremendous thunderstorm blew past to get pancakes down the street...only the pancake place was closed. so we foraged up and down rockville pike, stopping at all the little gas station convenience stores, before we finally came back and were reminded by the concierge that the supermarket was still open. so we went to giant to get munchies, came back, and went to bed. poor matt was relegated to a comforter folded into quarters on our living room floor.

slept in late saturday morning, until matt came to wake me up (much better than an alarm) and figure out what we were going to do for the rest of the day. we went back to original pancake house and had a huuuuge apple pancake (literally cake sized) plus another full sized breakfast and an extra side of eggs!

our first stop on our saturday tour of the red line was at woodley park to go to the zoo. while we were walking up connecticut we saw an bluejay hurt and watched it for a time until it made it into a tree, seemingly and hopefully on its way to feeling better. i didnt know that bluejays were quite so large. at the zoo, i finally got to see the baby cheetahs! and we didn't have to wait like i thought. they were really hard to see, too -- all camoflauged.

we tried to go see the anteater but, again, it was not to be found. =( but we did see lots of cooool animals, like the naked mole-mice (which were soo stupid), golden lion tamarinds, shrews, porcupines, hedgehogs (like sonic!), gorillas, giraffes, iguanas, and lots of snakes, which matt loves. like this anaconda. =)

after the zoo, we stopped at dupont circle, and walked down connecticut towards the city. we ducked into kramerbooks&afterwords, had a really fresh fruit tart at this cozy little place called firehook bakery & cafe, walked around the actual circle, went into krispy kreme, then got back on the metro.

our next stop was metro center, from where we walked to the hotel washington to look out at all the monuments from the sky terrace. after we came back down to ground, we walked along past the treasury, the department of commerce, the sherman statue (which matt doesn't like because the guy razed the south), and out to the washington monument. we got there as the sun was setting, and it was gorgeous and breezy.

afterwards, we caught the metro all the way back home, and went grocery shopping to cook dinner. matt cooked a mean chicken parmesan while i baked some croutons and tossed a salad. after we cleaned up, matt gave me an awesome massage and i fell asleep (after which he apparently stayed and sat with me awhile, turned off some of the lights for me, then later decided to turn out all of the lights, tucked me in, left, and came back in the morning to wake me up -- and i only remember the very last thing though matt says i was awake).

in the morning, we walked to church, which was nice. the assistant pastor mark dwyer approached matt after church coz he was a new person and was very noticeable with his height -- that's never happened to me and i've been there all summer! we picked up munchies at safeway, then caught the bus out to wheaton and walked to brookside gardens to see the butterfly exhibit. along the way, we clambered down into the little stream bed where matt looked for interesting creatures but only harassed a poor little squishy worm. and then...we saw deer! two does and three fawns...they were so pretty, and so stupid.

matt loved the butterfly exhibit, and recognized the spot where i stood in the picture that he has. we watched a butterfly hatch out of its cocoon, and then one butterfly decided to use matt as a roost from which to hunt girl butterflies! it kept returning to matt and landing on his shoulder. and i got to hold it on my finger! but in the end it liked matt more. =)

after that we stopped by shoppers and then at kfc so i could have one of their heavenly biscuits before getting back on the metro at glenmont (another one of our stops on our tour of the red line). we rode to cleveland park and got out to find a nice place to eat, and ended up in this really cute, really cozy little market & deli where matt had a reuben and i had a little bowl of gazpacho. we also stopped a few stores down at an organic market where matt got this really interesting juice and some great bittersweet chocolate.

we went home to clean up and shower and change, then chilled awhile before heading out to georgetown to have dinner at clyde's. georgetown was so pretty, and clyde's was totally yummy (except they disappointed matt by putting mint in his cucumber yogurt sauce).

afterwards we caught the bus toward downtown, then walked back towards farragut north (our last stop on our redline tour). we went through lafayette park and looked at the white house, and also passed the hay-adams and the MPAA. this morning, matt left the house at 5am but still missed his 7:45am flight by a few minutes, which must have been an awful experience. he ended up flying out on another airline in the afternoon, for an exorbitant amount. =( the word for the feeling in chinese is "yook tung". but at least he's getting on home, and everything will work out for good. *hug*


Anonymous Katherine said...

naked mole mice? I have seen naked mole rats, but never mice....they are amusing HA

11:02 PM, July 25, 2005  
Blogger jess said...

i think they were probably all mole rats. but there were dark ones the size of rats, and white ones the size of mice, hence the distinction. =)

8:49 AM, July 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home